Friday, October 2, 2009

Student Esssay on the Problems in Chuuk

This is an essay from one of my students, Parky. I asked the students to write a 5 sentence paragraph about the problems in Chuuk because we are working on paragraphs, and she handed me a 5 paragraph essay. SWEET! I thought I would share it with ya’ll because this is some information on the problems in Chuuk, from a Chuukese lady. I was very proud when she gave me this, especially because not only is it a whole essay, but each paragraph flows so well! It is all her words other than some small editing, but not much at all. I changed position of a word here or changed an ending but it is almost completely her words-from a non-native English speaker…and let me tell you, Chuukese is a far different language than English!

“Essay-What are some problems in Chuuk?”

There are many problems that occur in Chuuk, but I would like to talk about some of them. Here are some problems that I want to talk about; pollution, population, and drinking alcohol.

Pollution is one of the problems in Chuuk. The ocean is polluted by the sewer, disposable things such as plastics, aluminum, and transportation stuff. The land is polluted by human beings and also from the island power, oil, diesel, and any fuels. Therefore, pollution is hand-made.

Population is the biggest problem in Chuuk. Chuuk is the smallest state among the states but it is extremely more populated than the other states in FSM. As we know, if there is a populated area, so there will also be more problems occurring. We need more land for our people but there is no such land that can be given out because of not having enough land and having too many people.

Drinking alcohol is also a problem in Chuuk. In Chuuk, adults think that drinking alcohol is a way to show that they are strong and broad men. They think of themselves as great and think that they can control everything. In this way, this situation can cause fighting. The fighting can cause death or many other harmful events.

We all learned that population, pollution, and drinking alcohol are just some problems in Chuuk. Besides these problems, there are a lot of other problems in Chuuk that frequently occur every year. Therefore, pollution, population, and drinking alcohol are just some of the problems in Chuuk.

Also, on a more personal note, I am doing fine. Teaching is going…I love it some days and hate it others as many jobs people do. We were not damaged by any tropical storms in the Pacific, and only have normal rain. The rain cools life for an hour or so and then it’s hot as hell again!!! We had a good conversation last night in community which made me feel better about life here. Yea, that’s all I have for now. It’s just daily grind of life and work in another country right now.
Peace, Love and COCONUTS!!!

Jessica

3 comments:

MOM said...

I love when you share things like this with us. Glad life is getting better. I'm so proud of you so wrap your arms around yourself and give yourself a great big HUG from me.
PEACE, LOVE, and sweatshirts. (Starting to get cooler here)

MOM said...

Glad teaching is getting better. Just takes a while to get the hang of it. Stay cool in the heat.

Love you lots,
MOM

Unknown said...

Hi Jessica,

Please contact me when you have a minute. I am an EL teacher in rural MN with a mostly Chuukese population.