Thursday, August 6, 2009

I Made It!!!!

Ron Annim Everyone,
I made it to Micronesia. There is not much to say yet. We met one of our other community mates, Matt, and the Xavier community mate Meg. Stephanie, the other girl from SLU that is here in Xavier community is in the Mortlock Islands trying to get back to Weno (our island) but she missed the boat and the next flight isn't until the 12th. The other Saramen community mate (my community) is in the states because she is doing a third year and needed to be home for her sisters wedding so she wont get here until the 20th or something like that. Currently we are at Xavier after spending last night at Saramen. We haven't done a whole lot yet other than unpack and eat some local food...I'm finding out I don't like a good handful of the food...the fish is good, tuna is the fish we've had so far, but then there is spam...which isn't horrible but it sure isnt great either, and this potato like fruit called breadfruit which is GROSS!!! Um, there is also a lot of coconut and soy milk, neither of which i'm crazy about. Maybe i'll drop a few pounds while i'm here. Um, it is really hot, more humid than anything, but the people are really nice. I'm ready to get into a routine and start to feel more at home but that'll come with time.

More on the funny side, there are tons of mu mu's which everyone wears...i'm sure there will be pictures in time of me in one...i'm trying to hold off!!! haha. we're going to be heading to another island sometime in the next week or two which should be fabulous, go swimming tomorrow (in Capri's and a t-shirt!) and go see the old light house from WWII. There are a bunch of sunken ships around and lots still to learn. Sorry I don't have more to say, as I'm sure a good handful of people want details galore...it's just the beginning though. Oh, my apartment is good though, other than the bugs. Last night one bit me on the lip so when i woke up over half of my upper lip was super swollen!!! haha. Apparently i'm sweet too because they ate at me all night. I'm all better now though! No worries family! Love you all and miss you!
Jessica

1 comment:

www.bfreepaparazzi.com said...

Hey jess, i'm sending this on behalf of denise, who doesnt have a gmail/blogger acct:

"Hi Jessica, this is Denise, not sure if you remember me (friend of your mom's) I have been keeping up w/ your blog & just wanted to wish you well, I'm sure you will do fine. Denise"

(send me your email address plz)