Sunday, August 2, 2009

Goodbyes and New Beginnings

So this is it, I'm off tomorrow early morning. We leave John Carroll at 3:30am "tomorrow" and I'll get there 10:30ish am Wednesday. I kind of miss Tuesday. haha. I'm pretty at peace with it. Scared, nervous, excited, but mostly at peace. These last two weeks of orientation really helped me trust that I am doing what God is asking me to do, and I am at peace with that. I also am at peace with the fact that this is going to be ridiculously hard at times, and unbelievably joyful at others. I will not have one without the other. I have learned from the past though that the hard times and the joy filled moments are wonderful learning moments.

As for orientation, it has been wonderful. Full of beautiful people with energy and passion. There have been really challenging times here too, and I have already learned about myself. Can you believe it, I get quiet when there are large groups. I really can be quiet and shy. My favorite workshop we had was Catholic Social Teaching. I had heard of this before, but if you're Catholic, I urge you to discover this wonderful secret of the Catholic Church. It's challenging us to really put our faith into action. WONDERFUL part of the church.
I am going to miss everyone from home no doubt, and I am sure I'll miss many of the luxuries from home too, but i am only closing the door, it's not locked. I'll be back as this new beginning becomes an end. 2 years seems like a long time right now, but as many Former Jesuit Volunteers (FJVs) have said, it will fly by and I'll be home before any of us know it.

So for now, this is adios! I'll see you soon and even though we wont be together physically, we are on the road together. We're together in mind, heart, thought, and prayer. We all travel this road we call life together, so I'll be seeing you!

Love,
Jessica

3 comments:

MOM said...

Reading your blog today makes me feel better about you going. Hearing that you are at peace with this and realize it is not all going to be easy makes me realize you make a good decision for yourself. I am so proud of you. Remember that we love you and make sure you send us lots of pictures. Love you always and as you know the mostest!!!!!!
MOM

Unknown said...

Well Girl you brought tears to my eyes and I can not tell you how proud I am of you. I think it takes such a strong person to do what you are doing and that is definitely a word I would describe you as. Know that I will miss the debates but send lots of pictures and know that we love ya!!!
Michelle

Unknown said...

Well Girl you brought tears to my eyes and I can not tell you how proud I am of you. I think it takes such a strong person to do what you are doing and that is definitely a word I would describe you as. Know that I will miss the debates but send lots of pictures and know that we love ya!!!
Michelle