Wednesday, April 28, 2010

happy things!

Recently things have been going well. We had a few really fun nights in a row that made me love Chuuk even more! The school year is wrapping up nicely as I am finishing my last projects in each class and should end just in time. Anne Frank is almost over and we should have time to review the book. We’re working on researching for our paper in English Skills and that will be due finals week…I hope they do okay with it! And in Creative Writing they are finishing their poetry books, we’ll present them on Monday, do another fun poem in class, and close poetry. We’ll read a couple dramas and maybe act them out with the rest of time and then the year will end! I can’t believe I’m done with my first year of teaching in a month! I have learned that I am not as patient as I thought I was and as I have known, a little overly opinionated and moody! Lol.
But let’s talk about the really fun things. Last week, starting Thursday was WONDERFUL!!! First that evening we got to take a bus ride in the new bus with AC! It’s always nice to get out of the school and drive the island. We took Marz, the VP home, and then we got to take the bus back to SCA alone. On the way back Caro and Matt pulled out their I-pods and speakers so we jammed on the way home. The first song we listened to was a remake Micronesia style. “Island Road Micronesia” I really like it! I know it’s a complete remake, stolen song, but it’s great. So, as I listened to it on the ride back I felt in peace. I felt like I am really where I should be and really loved Chuuk at that moment. Plus, the ride was funny with Matt driving and Caro emceeing on the microphone! Haha.
Then, I was in charge of community night that Thursday night and it was Earth Day so I thought I would try to do something “earthy.” After some thinking and ideas from others, I decided to go to the markets and buy 8 coconuts and a bundle of bananas. What was I going to do with this? Sit around and eat/drink local food? NO WAY. BORING!!! After dinner, I laughed at how full we all were and told them to follow me into the kitchen where the coconuts were in the freezer. I set out two knives. Said “Matt and Tyler, you are against each other, Caro and me, we’re against each other. You grab a knife, and coconut. Whoever gets it opened and consumed first wins, then the winner vs the winner, looser vs the looser. Boys first. GOOOO!!!!” And as I said go, the guys raced to grab a knife and get a coconut out of the bag. “Bang bang bang” went the coconuts and the guys rushed to open them. They were not easy to open!!! Tyler won. Then me and Caro. Same story, except girl style….we both stuck straws in ours and drank through the straw as fast as possible. Caro won… lo but it was close! Then we went into the dining room. Each person had 3 bananas in front of them. “Eat them fast” I said. “GO!” We shoved whole banana’s into our mouths. Caro won!! Lol I was second to last! At least I didn’t loose. Then we went onto the second round of coconut drinking. Caro and Tyler tied, Matt beat me, and I got to enjoy the rest of my coconut.
Finally, the best part of the night came about. COCONUT BOWLING!!! We took our empty coconuts outside, set up some plastic containers from the house, and bowled 5 frames!!! I got second! But really, the joy of it all was that we were coconut bowling (this idea came from another JV community! I wasn’t that creative!). So, needless to say, Thursday was great fun.
Friday was good too. I got to go on another ride around the island to do some errands, and then one of the Peace Corps came over and he and Tyler played some music which was wonderful. We also watched “to kill a mockingbird” which I haven’t seen since 7th grade. Good reminder!
Then was Saturday! We had a school picnic planned, so a small ship was rented and off we went. It was a hot day but well worth the horrible sun burn. The best part was when the ship parked a little ways out from the picnic island. I was fidgeting trying to figure out a way to jump in the water then and there because I was hot and it looked great. Matt and Caro must have read my mind, because they jumped from the roof of the ship into the water! I was able to convince a student to go with me and so he jumped in. And before I could be told not to jump, I went off the edge too! It was so liberating to jump off I ship and into the beautiful blue Pacific ocean! We swam quite a ways to shore and then enjoyed the rest of the picnic. The food was wonderful, hanging out with the students was great, and being in the water all day was what I dreamed of when I knew I was coming to an island! On the way back we also so a rare sight…a dolphin followed us. This is really rare in the lagoon and some of the students have never seen a dolphin here, so it was a real treat. Behind the dolphin was a small rainbow…tell me that’s not breathtaking!
So, those days were wonderful. Things have been good since too. We had a fun dinner at a friend’s house Friday with some good southern cooking, dancing and games, and the week has been fine.
Things really are wrapping up quite well for me this first year. I’m happy where I am, and feeling more comfortable here. I’ll probably write a serious blog before leaving reflecting on the year, but I thought ya’ll could use some less serious reading for a change. In the next one, I’ll give you my summer mailing address in Pohnpei too!
Peace, love and coconuts!
Jessica

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i wish i could swim with the dolphins under a rainbow - lucky : P